About Leominster Allotment Association
The LAA has an elected committee who work on behalf of our allotment gardeners. Committee members may be contacted through the contact page or via Leominster Town Council Office at 11 Corn Square, Leominster, Telephone 01568 611734.
The LAA meet bi-monthly, usually at the Town Council Offices in Corn Square. See the calendar page for forthcoming meetings.
The LAA AGM is held in May and is a forum at which the allotment year is reviewed and committee members are elected. As with any association we are always looking for new committee members to re-invigorate the team.
Committee Members for 2022 – 23 – elected on 7th May 2022, at the AGM
- Claire Powell (Chair)
- Sue Morris (Secretary)
- Glenys Millard (Treasurer and Membership Secretary)
- John Braithwaite (Seed Order Co-ordinator with support from Jane Lacey)
- Graham Millard (committee member)
- Kay West (committee member)
- Samantha Shakespeare (committee member)
Christine Conlon – remains as Website Administrator, representing Chris Preece.
Currently the LAA membership fee for 2022 – 23 is £7.50 per year and can be paid via Leominster Town Council or via one of the Committee Members, above.
On the allotment site, near the main gate, there is a glass fronted notice board. There is also a noticeboard on the side of the Community shed (in the centre of the allotment site).
Website and Facebook
Please send any relevant allotment and gardening related news, life and topical tips for use on this website. This can be through email or post (via Leominster Town Council).
Aim of The LAA
The aim is to assist all members in the pursuit of gardening as a recreation and to promote health, education and community fellowship. To improve site facilities and to keep public areas tidy.
Objectives of The LAA
- (a) To actively cooperate with groups and organisations with a view to increasing the provision of allotments and improving standards and facilities.
- (b) To establish a working relationship with Leominster Town Council as landlords with the object of improving facilities, carrying out essential landlord maintenance, preparation of allotment gardens for letting, producing publicity about availability of allotments and early consultation on allotment matters e.g. proposed site changes, rent levels and reviewing the tenancy agreement which sets out responsibilities of the landlord and the tenant.
- (c) To administer any distribution service, communal maintenance machinery and equipment, including a seed scheme for members.
- (d) To help new gardeners on the site in whatever way is appropriate including providing where possible introduction to a nearby experienced gardener with the view to special help during early months of tenancy.
- Provides an interface between tenants and the Town Council
- Affiliates all association members to the National Allotment Society (N.A.S) formerly NSALG
- Represents all association members at the quarterly regional meetings of N.A.S
- Insures all association members plots for Public Liability for injuries sustained by any persons on their plots
- Insures the allotment site for Public Liability when holding any social events
- Initiates and participates in developments and projects which aim to improve the allotment site
- Aims to secure funding to enable delivery of project plans
- Organises annual seed orders from Kings Seeds Ltd
- Negotiated discounts of 5% from Hintons and Philpotts for all allotment gardeners on showing allotment card
- Contributes to content of newsletter
- Organises allotment events e.g. open days
All allotment tenants are invited to take part in any community activities associated with Ginhall Lane Allotments.
The Community Shed (in the centre of the allotment site) is an amenity for all allotment tenants.
It’s use may be for and not limited to:
- An informal meeting place
- Shelter from inclement weather
- Notice board
- Focus for horticultural literature
- Setting for demonstration and teaching of practical skills
- Housing first aid kit
- HQ for open days, produce show and seed swaps
- Exchange of information such as newsletters, notices, minutes, site map.